Monday, September 17, 2007

Adam's Diary


Wow..... Extracts from Adam's Diary is sexist and comical. I cant believe Mark Twain wrote such a comedic piece! This is like a description of all relationships any man has had. "She's using "We" again" made me laugh out loud (which is rare when Im reading) This seemed pretty racy for a this time period. I was thinking about the womens lib stuff going around at the time and couldnt help but think Twain would get a lot of guff for this. I dont necessarely like Twain, but I am willing to give him another chance with a story like this. I enjoyed that he took a story from the bible and completly changed the story from a vague and bland (and a total lack of character development, god do you think Peter, Paul, John and Ezekiel could take a screenwriting class?) and showed us a side of an infamous character we never thought we would see. His use of dry humor was something that I really didnt see in Huck Finn, but I hope to get a better perspective of. He demonstrates how even the very first male/female relationship was not perfect, and that they didnt even know what they were doing even with the guidance of God. I probably will encounter a similar experience with my child some day.


Yeah the whole eating the apple bit is kind of why men have a lot of regret when it comes to women.....

What other authors have done something like this????

I am interested in seeing Eve's view, though I bet it will not be as good as Adam's......... is that sexist????

No comments: