Sunday, December 9, 2007

Wilde Vs. Shaw

It all comes down to this.......... I gotta go with Wilde. Shaw's Pygmalion is nothing compared to Wilde's work. I had read Dorian gray when I was younger and I loved it. Shaw just doesnt do it for me as his stories arent as original as Wilde. Maybe it is becaause his stories have been done over a thousand times. About every decade their is a "new and original" film idea about a girl changing er ways through the help of her male companion who falls in love with her. In the seventies, it was Educating Rita, the eighties it was Pretty Woman, the nineties it was She's All That, and this decade it is Never been Kissed. Yet women love it.

Wilde does have that weird thing about quotes though that Monty python points out. But he managed to keep it up his entire life as his last words were "either the curtains or I have to go (followed by a gurgling sound)". His writing embodies that English wit that was the victorian age. His snotty upscale persona spoke through his stories yet he managed to stay comical about it the whole time. The importance of being earnest recreated the mixed up identity storyline that Shakespeare had perfected long ago. I liked this story because he seems to be mocking the "tie up the lose ends" plot twists in a satirical way. "Wow it turns out I didnt lie so all is resolved as I am Both Earnest and Ernest as well. Hooray!" Shaw just seems to fall flat with his stories as Pygmalion just dragged on and on as Eliza goes through her metamorphasis.......


This is unrelated but Wilde is currently singing for a band called The Strokes now..........

No comments: