Monday, December 3, 2007

Watch Your step. There is a child there.



I said this in class but I cant help but think that this movie would have been much better if David Lynch had directed it. The dead horse, prostitutes, the angry little person (Abe), stomping on children, etc. that stomping children. My experience in Hollywood wasnt quite like this but i guess it was dark times in the depression (except that doesnt explain the dead horse). Hollywood was such a prominent entity at this time as it provided comfort for the U.S. as it suffered from the depression. Yet this book showed how people flocked to the most exclusive society on earth to pursue their dreams of escaping poverty. Their is a belief that you begin to lose yourself in Hollywood (which we see in Homer), but I always believed that was because Hollywood would change you with money and fame. This book demonstrates that it can change you even before you break onto the Fame scene.

The film seemed really seemed to ruin the book in a way yet I have to say when I first read the part where homer torounces Adroe, I was confused and had to read it several times. But the movie made it perfectly clear, which i have to say was disappointing because the chaos I read on the page was a lot more interesting than the film. I cant stand child stars so that was a little bit of a victory for me. I wouldnt go as far as saying I want to crush Dakota Fanning but there is this urge to want to freak out on child stars and there parents especially. We see the effects that Hollywood has on the Youth and it never turns out pretty. I think about the Little miss susnhine pageant and I get disgusted at how people do this to their kids. They lose their childhood for their parents pathetic pipedream of reliving life through their kids. and their money. Dakota Fanning tries to be this intelligent and domestic adult ( which is parodied on SNL with Amy Poehler) and it is just so comical because you wonder why she isnt playing with bubles and barbie dolls. But kids say the darnest shit. Something needs to be done about this as more and more Lohans come forward and lower Hollywood to an even worse position.


P.s. Why is Donald Sutherland in all these films we watch?????

I feel the same way buddy......... Rough day......

No comments: